Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
inspired by chinese speciality hong shao rou
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 20g fresh root ginger, finely grated
- bunch salad onions,finely sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp chinese five spices powder
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp shaoxing rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1 1/2 tbsp less salt soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp demerara sugar (or other brown sugar)
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan set over a high heat. Once smoking hot, add the chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, until browned in places. Add the ginger, the white part of the salad onions (reserve the green tops, to serve). five spice powder, garlic and 1/2 the chilli; fry for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- STEP 2Splash in the rice wine ( or sherry), soy sugar and 2 tbsp water. Boil rapidily for 6-8 minutes, stirring often, until everything is coated in a sticky glaze. Scatter over the reserved salad onion tops and chilli. Serve with steamed white rice and pak choi, if liked.