Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Slow-roasted duck casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- More effort
- Serves 2
The meat just falls off the bone in this delicious dish
- 2 duck legs
- 150ml red wine
- Bouquet garni
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 225g shallots
- 110g diced streaky bacon or pancetta
- butter and oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 150ml chicken stock
- 300ml fresh orange juice
- 110g mushrooms
- STEP 1Cover the shallots in boiling water, leave for 10 mins then peel. Preheat oven to 170c or 150c fan oven.
- STEP 2Fry the bacon/pancetta in a hot casserole dish until lightly browned then remove to a holding dish.
- STEP 3Add a little butter and oil and cook the shallots until light brown, then remove to holding dish.
- STEP 4Place duck legs in casserole and brown both sides then add to holding dish.
- STEP 5To the fats in the casserole, add the flour and cook for 1 min. Gradually add the wine, stock, rosemary, bouquet garni and garlic. Beware, it will spit a little.
- STEP 6Now return the bacon/panetta, shallots and duck to casserole. Add the redcurrant jelly, some of the orange juice and the mushrooms and simmer gently for 3-4 mins. Cover the casserole and place in the oven for two hours.
- STEP 7Season to taste and add more orange juice or redcurrant jelly if you wish. Serve with mash.