- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 20 mins cook time, 30 mins prep, 1 hour to allow yeast to work
- More effort
- Makes Pizzas
A tried and tested recipe allowing you to make both the pizza dough and sauce completely from scratch
For the Pizza Dough (enough for two 12 inch bases):
- 550g of strong white flour
- 7g of dried yeast (usually one sachet)
- 1 tsp of table salt
- 1 tsp of caster sugar
- 320ml of luke warm water
- Pepper to season
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
For the Pizza Base Sauce:
- Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pepper to season
- Coarse salt to season
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed or finely chopped)
- 1 tsp of basil
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp Thyme
For the Toppings:
- Grated cheddar and mozzarella
- Toppings of your choice
- STEP 1Sieve the strong white flour into a large mixing bowl, add the salt and pepper.
- STEP 2Add the water, yeast, sugar and olive oil into a jug and leave for 3 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
- STEP 3Slowly pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl while stirring using a wooden spoon until everything is roughly mixed. Then, using your hands, further mix and knead the dough until it is elastic and slightly tacky but not over sticky. Place the dough in the mixing bowl and cover with a damp tea towel and leave for 1 hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- STEP 4Take the dough and knead it for a few minutes to take some of the air out. Split it into two equal parts. If you are only wishing to make 1 pizza then you can freeze the extra dough.
- STEP 5For the sauce, put all sauce ingredients into a blender for 30 seconds until you are left with a thick, light red sauce.
- STEP 6Flour a work surface and using a rolling pin, roll the dough until it is roughly the size of the pizza tray you are using. Place the rolled out dough onto the tray and using your fingers, work the dough until it fills the tray.
- STEP 7Brush the surface of the dough with olive oil and then add enough sauce mix to cover the base spreading evenly. Sprinkle on the grated cheese followed by your topping choice.
- STEP 8Cook the pizza in preheated oven at 200C for 20 minutes and then serve.