Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Spicy Fish & Chips
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 2
Fish or Seafood dishes are easy and quick to cook, they are packed with protein, low in fat and full of flavor with a touch of zest. Lighten up your Fish & Chips with this spicy aromatic fish and chips. This is just a really simple, easy, quick, and delicious version of fish & Chips. Serve it with whatever side you would like - I personally like it with a nice fresh salad, spicy thick potato chips or potato wedges and chilli mayonnaise. In Mauritius we have several finger licking fish fry recipes out of which I have created this Authentic Mauritian Spicy Fish which is just bliss to the palate. It is absolutely delicious, spiced with tangy sumac spices and several of my favourite spices. You could use any fish of your choice, preferably those with not too many bones.
- • Haddock fillets – 1 medium size fillet per person (any boneless fish of your choice e.g sole, tuna, tilapia)
- • 1 egg (binding agent, may need two if they are smaller)
- • A handful of fresh coriander – finely chopped, more for garnish
- • 1⁄2 cup flour & 1/2 cup semolina ((can be substituted with bread crumbs)
- • salt & pepper
- • chilli powder (as per taste)
- • 1 tsp smoked paprika
- • 1 tsp ground cumin
- • 1 tsp sumac powder ( is an aromatic North African spices with a tangy kick)
- • 2 tsp Tandoori powder
- • vegetable oil (for frying)
- • Lemon to serve – I used my homemade pickled lemon
- FOR THE TANDOORI POTATO CHIPS OR WEDGES
- • 2 large potatoes cut into wedges
- • 1tsp smoked paprika
- • 1-2 tsp Tandoori powder, extra to sprinkle before serving
- • ½ tsp salt & pepper
- • Vegetable oil to fry
- STEP 1Start by preparing the potatoes; I like to steam my potatoes as it keeps the flavour and also help reduce the cooking time later (I do the same before roasting potatoes). Place the sliced potatoes in a microwave safe bowl, season with salt and steam in the microwave for 3-4 minutes until half cooked. Remove from the microwave add the rest of the spices and seasonings toss until well mixed and set aside to cool down.
- STEP 2Rinse the fish pat dry using a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- STEP 3Beat the egg in a shallow bowl, add the chopped coriander. In another shallow bowl, mix the semolina together with the rest of the dry spice ingredients.
- STEP 4Dip a haddock fillet into the egg mixture - let the extra egg drip off, the coriander will stick to the fish and that’s what you want.
- STEP 5Press gently the egg coated fish into the crumb mixture on both sides; set the coated fillet onto a plate
- STEP 6Repeat with remaining fillets; refrigerate the coated fillets for about 15 minutes to help set the crumbs.
- STEP 7Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- STEP 8Since the potatoes will take longer to cook, start off by frying the seasoned potato – if you are worried about calories you can bake them in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- STEP 9To fry the fish, gently place the fillets into the skillet, and pan-fry until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side.
- STEP 10The inside of the fish should be opaque and flaky underneath the coating.
- STEP 11Remove and drain fillets on paper towels
- STEP 12To serve sprinkle some salt and Tandoori powder on the cooked potatoes.
- STEP 13Serve the fish and delicious potatoes with slice of lemon – I like to serve mine with pickled lemon and chilli mayonnaise (simply made by mixing mayonnaise with chilli paste/sauce of your choice)