Chai Tea Ice-Cream
- Preparation and cooking time
- 30 minutes fro the chai cream to infuse
- Makes 1.2 litres
I was given a recipe for masala chai by an Indian mother whilst in Goa. I'd tried and been given many chai recipes all over India but hers was the most aromatic. I thought I could use the base of the recipe to make fantastic ice-cream.
- 250ml whole milk
- 250ml double cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 100g soft dark brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods crushed
- 2 star anise
- 25g fresh root ginger grated
- 3-4 tablespoons loose black tea leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds toasted
- STEP 1Apart from the egg yolks and sugar place all the other ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Take off the heat and allow to infuse for 30 minutes.
- STEP 2Whisk the yolks and sugar together in a large bowl. Bring the spiced cream mix back to the boil and pour over the eggs whilst whisking continuously. Strain the mix back into the saucepan.
- STEP 3On a low heat stir the custard mix for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. Again strain the mix into a bowl and allow to cool.
- STEP 4Once cool transfer to an ice cream churner and churn for 20 minutes. Freeze for at least two hours.
- STEP 515 minutes before serving take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften. Serve with amaretti biscuits or toasted ginger bread if you like.