Low-carb sausage casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
This recipe is for using leftover sausages, and I have the quantities for one person. This can be easily scaled up to feed more.
- 2 cooked sausages
- 2 carrots
- Half an onion
- Fresh or dry herbs - rosemary and thyme
- tsp mustard
- tsp tomato pureé
- Pint of chicken or vegtable stock
- Splash of red wine
- 1/8th of a savoy cabbage
- Clove of garlic
- tsp of flour
- Black pepper to taste
- STEP 1Slice the sausages into bitesize chunks, and put them in a medium saucepan over a low heat (no need to add excess oil, unless they are very lean)
- STEP 2Slice the onions, carrots and garlic and add them to the pan. Then add the herbs.
- STEP 3Whilst this slowly browns, chop up the cabbage finely.
- STEP 4Add the stock, wine, mustard, tomato pureé. Give it a stir and add the cabbage.
- STEP 5Let this cook for around 20 minutes until everything is nice and soft. Take a tbsp of the stock mixture and mix it into the flour in a little bowl. Add this flour/stock paste into the pan and stir quickly in order to thicken slightly.
- STEP 6Season with black pepper and serve. This dish could be adapted to use leftover roast potatoes, or add some grain like pearl barley. Could also be served with crusty bread.