Quick and easy custard
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes Just over 600ml
This is a very quick and easy recipe for making your own custard
- 600ml of milk
- 100ml of single cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 40g of sugar
- 1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 tsp cornfour
- STEP 1Add the milk and cream and the vanilla pod (not extract yet) to a large saucepan and bring to a simmer slowly. once simmering take out the pod.
- STEP 2Mix the yolks, cornflour and sugar in a large bowl until they are well mixed. into this slowly add the simmering milk and cream mix making sure to mix well all the time.
- STEP 3Return all the mix back to the pan (add extract now if using that rather than pods) and use a wooden spoon to mix over a low heat until the custard begins to thicken, check to see if it is coating the back of the spoon to do this.
- STEP 4You can either serve right away or it can be stored in the fridge and warmed later but you will want to cover the top with something so that you don't get a skin over the top. This can be eaten warm or cold.