Cauliflower Cheese with Bacon
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This is a good hearty dish, perfect for your Sunday roast. Or in the middle of the table when your entertaining friends
- 160g Good quality bacon lardons
- 1 Clove garlic finely sliced
- 3 Shallots finely sliced
- 1 Large head of cauliflower cut into chunks
- 350ml Good qaulity chicken stock
- Finely chopped parsley
- Tablespoon of butter
- Teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 250g Mixed cheese, ensure this includes cheddar and mozzarella
- STEP 1Add your vegetable oil and bacon to a large frying pack and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate until later on. Leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- STEP 2Add the shallots, garlic, and cauliflower slices to skillet, cooking until tender, cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes ensuring they don't stick to the bottom of pan.
- STEP 3Pour in chicken stock and add the butter, 3/4 of parsley and re-add your bacon, reducing the heat to low. Cover your pan and allow to steam for 10 to 15 minutes until the cauliflower as soaked up the stock. At this point put your oven on to 180 degrees.
- STEP 4Remove cover and add gently stir 3/4 of the cheese, replace cover and allow to cheese to melt for a couple of minutes. Place all the ingredients in a pirex dish and sprinkle over your remaining cheese, place in hot oven for 5 minutes allowing all the cheese to go stringy and gooey, remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining parsley. I always keep it in the dish and put it in the middle of the table and allow my guests to help themselves. Always a winner.