Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Dominican Moro with Coconut
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 5
Rice dish from the Dominican Republic. Serve with a salad and fried fish or meat for a comforting Caribbean meal.
- tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons of tomato paste
- 1 tin of pigeon peas
- 1 tin of water with a chicken stock cube
- half a tin of coconut milk
- small tablespoon of salt
- 1 tin of long grain rice
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a large pot and add the shallot, garlic, coriander and oregano. Stir every now and again so the garlic doesn't burn and keep on a medium heat.
- STEP 2When the onion has turned translucent (about 5 mins) add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- STEP 3Add the tin of pigeon peas with their water to the pan and then add a tin of water and crumble the stock cube in. Then stir in the coconut milk and salt and leave until the mixture is bubbling.
- STEP 4Pour the rice into the pot and mix so that it is covered by the liquid. Leave to cook uncovered until the water is evaporated but the rice is still moist. Taste to see if the rice is soft, if not add some more. When ready, take of the heat and cover for 5 mins so that the rice steams before serving.