Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Cornish Heavy (Hevva) Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 15 slices
Traditional Cornish heavy cake, using the recipe handed down through my family to me. This recipe uses no eggs. Great with a cup of tea!
- 500g Self-raising flour
- 250g Butter
- 360g Mixed dried fruit
- 180g Sugar
- 100ml Milk
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a medium, square cake tin.
- STEP 2Rub the butter into the flour until it's the texture of fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and fruit and mix well. Add the milk and mix to a soft, stiff dough.
- STEP 3Press into the cake tin, pushing down firmly in the corners. Score the top of the cake with a sharp knife, making criss-cross diagonal lines.
- STEP 4Place in the middle of the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- STEP 5Remove from the oven and while still warm, brush with milk and give a generous sprinkling of granulated sugar. Allow to cool and cut generous slices.