Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Curry Base Gravy
- Preparation and cooking time
- freeze overnight
- Makes 8 portions (each portion serves 2)
This is a healthy great base gravy I make in a big batch then divide into portions and freeze for later use. You can use this base to create a wide variety of restaurant style currys in your own home. We call these healthy currys 'thindians'
- 8 TBSP Olive oil
- 1 Kg Onions Roughly Chopped
- 1 Bulb Garlic
- 1/2 White Cabbage Chopped
- 2 Carrots Peeled & Chopped
- 5" Ginger
- 1 TBSP Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 TBSP Mild Curry Powder
- 1/2 TBSP Kasmiri Chilli Powder
- 3 TBSP Tomato Puree
- Salt & Pepper
- STEP 1Peel ginger & garlic and puree to a paste in a blender with a little water to loosen.
- STEP 2Heat oil in a large pan.
- STEP 3Add Onions, Carrot, Cabbage & Ginger/Garlic paste, cook gently for 15 - 20 mins with lid on stiring occasionally.
- STEP 4Stir in all ground spices and tomato puree. Mix well.
- STEP 5Add water to pan until veg is covered. Season with salt & pepper.
- STEP 6Bring to the boil then cook on low for 45 mins skimming off any surface scum with a spoon when needed.
- STEP 7Leave to cool then puree with stick blender until smooth. Divide into freezer bags 2 ladle full at a time per portion. Freeze until needed.