Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A healthy take on the traditional spag bol creating a lighter tastier version!
- 500g turkey mince (you may want to add finely chopped turkey steak to add a little body to the dish)
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tube tomato puree
- 1 onion
- 1 tin anchovies in oil or water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Small handful pancetta
- Spaghetti or pasta to serve
- 2 carrots
- Half packet mushrooms
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 chicken stock pot/cube
- Dried mixed herbs
- Bunch fresh basil
- Splash olive oil
- STEP 1Put a splash of olive oil into a large pot over a low heat.
- STEP 2Roughly chop onions and garlic cloves and add to the pan, making sure they do not burn. Allow to cook until onions begin to soften then add the pancetta.
- STEP 3Put two anchovy fillets from the tin into the centre of the pan and break them up by mixing them in thoroughly with the onion and garlic.
- STEP 4Roughly chop carrots, celery and mushrooms and add to the mixture. Allow them to cook through thoroughly before adding the turkey mince.
- STEP 5Once the meat has cooked through well (approximately 5 - 8 minutes depending on the quantity you have used), add the dried herbs and season well (taking into account the saltiness of the anchovy).
- STEP 6Add the tube of tomato puree, mixing in thoroughly. Then juice the lemon and add the juice to the pot.
- STEP 7Add the chopped tomatoes to the pot. Put water into one of the tomato tins before rinsing and also add this to the mixture. You should also now add the chicken stock as well. The bolognaise should be very wet at this stage.
- STEP 8Now bring the bolognaise to a bubble before reducing the heat to a simmer and allow it to cook until the mixture has reduced by approximately two thirds. This should take 45 - 60 minutes depending on the amount of liquid in the pot.
- STEP 9Once the bolognaise has reduced sufficiently, cook the spaghetti or pasta to serve.
- STEP 10Approximately 2 minutes before serving, roughly chop the basil and add to the bolognaise.
- STEP 11Serve with al dente pasta and parmesan.