Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Fresh Ginger Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes one 23-cm cake; 10 to 12 servings
Easy, Moist Ginger Cake
- 115g Fresh Ginger, Peeled and Thinly Sliced
- 250ml Golden Syrup
- 200g Sugar
- 250ml Vegetable Oil
- 350g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 250ml water
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C (gas mark 4). Butter the bottom and sides of a 23cm springform or round cake tin with 5cm sides and line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- STEP 2In a food processor fitted with the metal blade or with a chef's knife, chop the ginger until very fine. Set aside.
- STEP 3In a large bowl, mix together the golden syrup, sugar, and oil. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper.
- STEP 4In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil, then stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Whisk the hot water into the golden syrup mixture, then add the chopped ginger. Gradually sift the flour mixture over the golden syrup mixture, whisking to combine. Add the eggs and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- STEP 5crape the batter into the prepared springform or cake tin and bake until the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 1 hour. Leave to cool completely. Run a knife around the sides of the cake to help loosen it from the tin. Invert the cake onto a plate, peel off the parchment paper, then re-invert it onto a serving platter.