Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
'Boiled in the bag' fruit cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 10
A family favourite that is the amalgamation and alteration of several recipes, gradually perfected over the years.
- 4oz butter
- 6oz soft brown sugar
- 6oz currants
- 6oz sultanas
- 2oz glacé cherries- quartered
- 8fl. oz. Water
- 1 good teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 heaped teaspoon of mixed spice
- 2 beaten eggs
- 4oz plain flour
- 4oz self raising flour
- Good pinch salt
- STEP 1Place butter, sugar, fruit, water, spice and bicarbonate of soda in a pan and bring to boil. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Pour into a mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- STEP 2Line a 7 or 8 inch round baking tin- (depends how thick you want your cake to be.) with greased grease proof paper.
- STEP 3When mixture is cool add the beaten eggs and salt and stir.
- STEP 4Stir in sifted flour - mixture should almost runny enough to pour into tin.
- STEP 5Spoon into tin. Place in an oven preheated to 180degrees C. Or 165degrees in a fan oven.
- STEP 6Cook for 11/4 hours. Check after 1 hour. Cake is cooked when a skewer comes out clean. It may take a bit longer idea ending on size of tin. If top starts to burn cover with grease proof paper.
- STEP 7When cooked leave in tin to cool a bit- about 5 mins. will do then remove from tin and place on cooling rack.