Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
A traditional Liverpool soup, using red lentils and yellow split peas and ham. Good stick to your ribs stuff, perfect for winter weather!
- 1 ham shank or small bacon joint (unsmoked)
- 3 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 250g red split lentils
- Handful of split peas
- Black pepper
- STEP 1Put your meat onto boil. Cover it halfway with water. Leave to cook for one hour. Keep checking to make sure the water is not getting too low.
- STEP 2At the end of 1 hour change the water. (it can get too salty so this is important)
- STEP 3Leave the meat for another hour, it must be soft when ready. If still not soft, give it a bit longer. Check the water levels. Taste the water. If still very salty change it again or dilute it.
- STEP 4While the meat is cooking, chop the carrots and onions into chunks, not too fine.
- STEP 5When the meat is ready (after 2 hours) remove it from the pan. Add all the other ingredients to the cooking water. Add a bit of pepper but no salt (taste later and see if it needs salt). Bring to the boil and let this simmer for at least half an hour. Meanwhile chop up your meat and return it to the pan. Keep an eye on this, when it is nearly ready in may start to stick so keep stirring now and again. When it is ready, it will be a lovely orange/yellow colour, and should be thick. This is a meal in itself. Very filling, nice with some home made bread.