Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Lavender and poppyseed shortbread
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 20 biscuits
Light and delicate, these are perfect with earl grey tea. Please make sure lavender flower are picked yourself, or make sure bought ones are unsprayed!
- 175g unsalted softened butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped lavender flowers (without stems)
- 100g caster sugar
- 225g plain flour
- 25g demerera sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
- STEP 1Grease three large baking trays. Put the butter and lavender flowers into a bowl and beat together (this releases the lavender flavour most effectively)
- STEP 2Beat in the sugar and poppyseeds, then when combined, stir in the flour. When mixed thoroughly, knead a little with your hands until smooth.
- STEP 3Divide the mixture into two and roll into two 'sausages' around 6" long. Wrap in cling-film and chill in the fridge until firm.
- STEP 4Preheat oven to 160C. Cut each sausage into around 10 slices and place them on the baking trays, allowing a little room for spread. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the shortbread is pale golden brown at the edges. Lift off the baking tray with a fish slice and leave on a wire rack to cool completely before eating.