Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Jhangore Ke Kheer/Barnyard Millet Kheer
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
A Simple recipe with a healthy ingredient. A Speciality of Uttarakhand using barnyard millet.
- 1/2 cup Jhangora/Barnyard Millet/Kuthiraivaali
- 1/4 Cup Condensed Milk or 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Litres Fresh Milk
- 2 tbsp chopped cashewnuts
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2-3 drops of kewra essence/screwpine essence
- a generous pinch of saffron
- STEP 1Wash and soak Jhangora/Barnyard millet/Kuthiravaali in water for an hour.
- STEP 2In a heavy bottom pan, boil milk. Add 2 tbsp of sugar to the milk to prevent burning or you can even add 2 or 3 stainless steel spoons to prevent burning of milk.
- STEP 3When the milk starts boiling, Add Saffron and reduce the flame to medium, let this cook until the milk reduces to half it original volume. Now add Jhangora and stir well to avoid lumps.
- STEP 4After 10 minutes, add condensed milk and mix well. Add Chopped nuts and raisins.Let this sit on the stove for another 8-10 minutes. Remove from flame.Serve Warm or chilled.
- STEP 5The Kheer tends to thicken with time, incase it thickens too much, add 1/4 cup of warm milk/glass while serving.