Jammy dodgers (sables)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus Cooling & sandwiching time
- Makes 10
Tasty biscuits with apricot and raspberry jam in the middle. A very tasty mid afternoon snack, with a cup of tea!!
- 125g plain flour
- 100g butter, cut in cubes
- 45g Caster Sugar
- 5g Self-raising flour
- 1 free range egg yolk
- 50g Raspberry jam
- 50g apricot jam
- Pinch of salt
- STEP 1Before you start mix the self raising flour & the caster sugar (this could be substituted for 50g of icing sugar but for best results, use a pestle and mortar to ground the two together.) Preheat the oven to 170 c Place the flour, butter, mix of sugar and self raising flour, and salt into a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- STEP 2Add the egg yolk and mix until a dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a thickness of about 0.5cm/¼in. Cut out shapes using a 2 1/4 in fluted cutter.
- STEP 3Divide the sables in half. Using a cutter, make a hole in the middle of half of the sable biscuits and discard the dough. Place all the sables on a baking tray.
- STEP 4Bake the sables for 10-12 minutes, or until light golden-brown and crisp. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- STEP 5Using a teaspoon, place a generous dollop of raspberry jam on a whole sable. Place a sable (with a hole) over the whole sable biscuit. Repeat until half the sables are done with raspberry jam, then repeat the process, using apricot jam, for the remaining sables.
- STEP 6Best eaten the next day Bon Appetite!