Chicken tikka & spiced rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- 6 to 8 hours marinating
- More effort
- Serves 4
Indian food does not need to be a guilty pleasure - this healthy chicken with fragrant, fresh rice is nutritious low in calories and lots of flavour.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 150 gram low-fat natural yogurt
- 50 grams tikka paste or tikka powder
- 100 grams cucumber diced
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped mint leaves
- 1 red onion cut into thin wedges
- 140 grams Long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 50 grams frozen peas
- 1 small red pepper; diced
- STEP 1Mix together the yogurt, and Tikka paste or powder. Season well. Cut chicken in bite cubes and Place the chicken in a large, non-metallic bowl and pour over the yogurt mixture. Toss to mix well, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 8–10 hours.
- STEP 2Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a gentle heat for 10–12 minutes, then add the peas, red pepper and stir-fry for a couple minutes more. Increase the heat to high, add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for 6–8 minutes, until boiling.
- STEP 3Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and cook for 25–30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- STEP 4Uncover the pan, check the seasoning and cook over a high heat for 3–4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the mint leaves. Serve immediately.
- STEP 5Serve with cucumber and white rice.