Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Cinnamon Flat Cakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Unless you have a huge oven, you will need to cook in batches of 5 or so at a time, it will take 20 minutes to cook each batch...
- Makes 15 - 20
A really scrummy alternative to a traditional rock cake. My recipe for Cinnamon Flat Cakes are a favourite with the whole family.
- 450g Self Raising Flour
- 226g Soft Light Brown Sugar
- 226g Unsalted Butter (Cubed)
- 226g Dried Fruit
- 2 Eggs (Beaten)
- 1tsp Ground Cinnamon
- STEP 1Preheat your over to 175 C (Gas Mark 4)
- STEP 2Sieve the flour into large mixing bowl. Sieve the ground cinnamon on to the flour and mix well. Keep mixing until you see the colour of your flour darken (slightly) evenly.
- STEP 3Next add the butter and, using your hands, mix into fine breadcrumbs. The longer you work the butter into the flour the finer your breadcrumbs will become and the better your mix will be.
- STEP 4Sieve the sugar into your bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon. (If you find that your sugar is full of small sugar rocks, crush them with the back of a spoon and sieve into your mix. Repeat until all of your sugar has been added to your bowl).
- STEP 5Now add your choice of dried fruit (I use 75g of dried cranberries and make the remainder up with dried raisins). Mix well ensuring that all of your fruit is well distributed throughout your mix.
- STEP 6Add the eggs and stir until fully combined. You should end up with a loose dough like ball. (If your mix is particularly dry you can add a very small amount of milk to moisten it however, be careful as adding to much will give you an incorrect consistency.)
- STEP 7Finally, take a small amount of mixture and place it on a lined baking tray. Repeat this step until your tray is covered.
- STEP 8Your flat cakes do not need to be smoothed over or flattened as the mixture will spread as it cooks. To prevent the cakes touching, leave a gap of about 2 inches between each one.
- STEP 9Bake in the middle of your preheated oven for 20 minutes or until each one is golden brown in colour and a skewer, poked into the middle, comes our clean.
- STEP 10Repeat steps 7 to 9 until all of your mixture has been used up. As you remove your cakes from the oven sprinkle them with a light dusting of cinnamon sugar (made by mixing 1/2tsp ground cinnamon with roughly 1tbs of soft brown sugar).
- STEP 11Best served slightly warm but can be enjoyed up to 2 days after cooking. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.