Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cooling and Chilling
- Makes 750ml
A yummy french thick custart to put in tarts, cakes or pastries
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 40g Cornflour
- 500ml milk
- 2 vanilla pods or 3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 40g Butter
- STEP 1Whisk the sugar, egg yolks and cornflour together in a bowl until smoothly combined and set aside.
- STEP 2Pour the milk into a large heavy based pan. Split the vanilla pods open (If using vanilla pods) and scrape out the seeds with the tip of a knife and add these to the milk in the pan. (Alternatively add the vanilla extract to the milk) Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat.
- STEP 3Pour about a quarter of the hot milk onto the egg mixture and whisk together. Then return this mixture to the rest of the milk in the pan. Put back over a gentle heat and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture becomes thick. Remove from the heat immediately.
- STEP 4Pass the mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Add the butter and stir in to melt. Place a disc of baking parchment or silicone paper directly on the surface of the creme patissiere to stop a skin forming. Leave to cool and then chill before using.