Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Creamy vanilla fudge
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 36 squares
Make your own homemade version of the sweet shop classic with just 6 ingredients. Once you see how easy it is to put together you'll be making it at every opportunity - it's perfect to stash away in the cupboard as a little treat because it lasts for so long! This recipe makes 36 pieces of fudge.
- 450g (1lb) granulated sugar
- 85g (3oz) butter
- 150ml (¼ pt) milk
- 175g (6oz) evaporated milk
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- A little vegetable oil
- STEP 1Tip the sugar, butter, milk and evaporated milk into a heavy based pan and heat gently, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved.
- STEP 2Bring to the boil and as the temperature rises, stir the fudge occasionally (be careful as the mixture is very hot) so that the sugar doesn't stick and burn.
- STEP 3Continue boiling until a temperature of 116C is reached on a sugar thermometer. If you don't have one of these, you can test if the fudge is at this temperature by spooning a small amount of the syrup into some iced water, it should form a soft ball.
- STEP 4Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- STEP 5Pour into an 18cm shallow square tin brushed with a little vegetable oil, and leave for 10-15 mins or until almost set. It will set quicker in the fridge.
- STEP 6Mark the fudge into 36 squares with a sharp knife and leave to cool completely.