Not Quite Branston Pickle (but pretty good!)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes about 4 x 720g branston jars
- Approx 1.5 kg skinned & chopped toms
- 1 celery stick, 2 large onions, 2 med. carrots,
- half a swede, half a cauliflower, 2 apples,
- 4 fairly large gherkins, big handful dates or prunes,
- (All of the above finely chopped)
- handful of sultanas,
- generous sprinkle of allspice
- 200g demerara (you could use more - I don't like it too sweet)
- 500 ml vinegar ( I used half from my gherkin jar & half cider)
- 1 dtsp lemon juice
- generous grindings of salt & black pepper
- STEP 1Add everything to large, heavy bottomed pan and bring to boil - then a high simmer for approx 1 hr 30 mins, skimming the scum off as it forms.
- STEP 2Sterilise jars whilst waiting - I always wash in soapy water, rinse and dry, then put in oven on lowest setting for 30 mins or so.
- STEP 3Decant pickle into jars - cool mixture into cool jars or warm mixture into warm jars. Label & leave for at least a month (I reckon) but better two months.