'Tis Christmas Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- See step one re soaking fruit
- More effort
- Serves 20
Easy Christmas cake which can be done early (late Oct) and preserved with brandy or last minute. Nut free!
- 350g Plain Flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) Mixed Spice
- 4 Eggs
- 75ml Milk
- 75ml Brandy
- 225g Unsalted Butter
- 1kg Mixed Fruit
- 100g Glace Cherries
- 225g Muscovardo / Unrefined Sugar
- STEP 1If you're preparing this cake early, feel free to soak the fruit and cherries in brandy and / or cider. I 've found two weeks is sufficient.
- STEP 2Take a 24cm round tin, grease and line with greaseproof paper. Make a tin foil 'chimney' which extends double the height of the tin to prevent scorching and prevent cracking. Warm oven to Gas 2 / 150 C / 300 F.
- STEP 3Mix together flour & spice.
- STEP 4Beat eggs & milk. Add brandy. If you want to, a splash of strong still cider works well.
- STEP 5Soften butter (30s in the microwave works nicely) and cream together with sugar.
- STEP 6Add flour & egg bit by bit mixing well
- STEP 7Add mixed fruit & cherries
- STEP 8Put mix into tin. Tie tin foil round tin and place in oven for 3.5hrs
- STEP 9At 3.5hrs, remove foil and return to oven for 30 mins.
- STEP 10Allow to cool in the tin on a wire rack