Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Simply Scrumptious Apple Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 1 cake
This is my own take on my granddads apple cake recipe, he used to use a big tin the kind you use for fruitcake, however you can use a small loaf tin. I use a 9inch spring form cake tin, its about 7cm deep and makes for a really nice cake. Its personal taste at the end of the day! You can also use a 7inch deep tin. Every time I have made this cake its lovely and moist, not too sweet, not too sour and I love it. Happy cooking!
- 2 Bramley Apples (peeled and chopped)
- 3oz Butter (softened or room temp)
- 6oz Caster sugar
- 8oz self raising flour
- 2tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Demera sugar for the topping
- 2tsp lemon juice
- STEP 1Line your tin with baking paper and preheat the oven to 160 degrees (fan)
- STEP 2Peel and slice your apples, adding the lemon juice, milk and the optional cinnamon and set to one side. Make sure the apples are stirred in well with the lemon juice to stop them browning.
- STEP 3Cream together the butter and sugar until it looks light and fluffy
- STEP 4Stir in the apple mixture making sure its all evenly stirred in
- STEP 5Using a wooden spoon, fold in your flour carefully. Make sure not to knock too much air out, it make take more time but you want a nice light cake
- STEP 6Spoon the mixture into your tin, making sure its all level
- STEP 7Bake at 160, for about 50mins, or until a skewer in the middle of the cake comes out clean. If you get worried about the top drying out cover it in foil. This shouldn't happen but it's always good to be prepared!
- STEP 8You can serve it hot for pudding, in which case sprinkle the demera sugar immediately, or wait for it to cool down. Again its personal. I hope you get a nice moist apple cake :)