Tomato and Chilli Chutney
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 1hr 40mins then a night in the fridge to thicken
- Makes Jars
A remake on another recipe, this has a slight kick, for the type of person that would not buy items that contains stack loads of chilli's. Good with ham and cheese and biscuits for a carpet picnic in front of your favourite TV show.
- 500g red onions, finely sliced
- 1kg fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 8 - 12 fresh red chilli's, roughly chopped
- a thumb-size piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 250g brown sugar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 5 cardamom seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- STEP 1Place all of your ingredients into a large, heavy-based pan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 2Simmer for 1 hour.
- STEP 3Using a handheld blender, blend all of the ingredients, but not so much that it becomes a puree.
- STEP 4After simmering, bring to a gentle boil so that the mixture turns dark, jammy and shiny.
- STEP 5Place into sterilized jars and place in the fridge for the night. Will keep for 6 weeks.