Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Carrot halwa / sweet
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 10
'Maa ke haath ka bana Gajar ka halwa (mum's homemade carrot halwa)' features a lot in hindi movies of yester-years. As a child I always drooled on hearing this dialogue. It was only when I grew up that I started making carrot halwa and after marriage, esp after moving to UK, because of the ease of getting ingredients for this sweet in this 'foreign' land :-), carrot halwa featured a lot in my kitchen.
- Carrot - 1 kg, peeled and grated
- Milk -1 litre, preferably full fat
- Sugar - 5 Tbsp
- Clarified butter / Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Condensed milk - 3/4 cup
- Almonds to garnish
- STEP 1Cook grated carrots with about a cup of milk till soft. You can do this in a thick bottomed pan. Once the milk starts boiling reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer.
- STEP 2Add the rest of the milk and continue to simmer. After 15-20 minutes, when all the milk is evaporated, add condensed milk to the dry mixture and tip in the sugar as well. Check the amount of sugar , you may require very less sugar as condensed milk is very sweet in itself. Let it simmer till condensed milk also is absorbed and mixture thick.
- STEP 3Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- STEP 4The next step is optional. In an another deep pan heat ghee, transfer cooked halwa to it and cook for another minute making sure you stir it with out fail all the way through.
- STEP 5To serve: - Chop raw almonds, vertically if u can as it looks better that way, and layer them at the bottom of your presenting dish. Layer your halwa on top. This makes the almonds soak in the lovely juices from ur halwa and combines the mixture. This is a tip I learned from my dear friend A. Thanks dear. :-). Feel free to sprinkle a few chopped almonds on top of ur halwa too. - While serving scoop out large portions of ur halwa on to ur serving dish and serve it hot along with a scoop of yummy vanilla ice cream. Heaven!!!
- STEP 6For an easy microwave method, heat ghee in a MWO safe bowl for 1 minute and add grated carrot. Cook for 2 minutes. Add milk and cook till milk evapourates, stirring occasionally. When the mixture thickens, add condensed milk and sugar. Again cook for another few minutes till mixture turns thick once again. Remove from MWO, add cardamom powder, garnish with almonds and serve.
- STEP 7A variation to the recipe is adding khoa or grated paneer. I personally do not prefer this as the end result is ever so slightly too sour to my palate.