Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
A healthy and tasty dish, which is quick and easy to prepare. The hint of spice gives this smooth and silky soup an extra kick. Ingredients given are easily adapted.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small or 1 medium red or white onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg butternut pumpkin or squash, peeled, chopped
- Generous 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or cream
- To serve: Creme fraiche or cream and small bunch fresh coriander
- STEP 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook slowly for 3 minutes or until onion has softened but not coloured.
- STEP 2Add crushed garlic and pumpkin. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes or until pumpkin has softened or starts to brown.
- STEP 3Add chilli and coriander. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- STEP 4Add stock. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
- STEP 5Set aside for 2 minutes to cool slightly.
- STEP 6Blend in batches until smooth.
- STEP 7Return to pan over low heat and reheat for 1 minute. Stir in creme fraiche or cream. Season with pepper if required.
- STEP 8To serve, divide between warmed bowls, top with teaspoon of creme fraiche if required and lightly chopped fresh coriander. Serve with warm crusty rolls or bread.