Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Beef burger soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Freezes well
- Serves 12
Cheap and wholesome, this soup is the perfect dish for a cold winters day.
- 500g minced beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium Desiree potatoes, peeled and diced (not too small or will dissolve into soup)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for cooking)
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a large pot on the hob on a medium heat. Once hot, add the celery, garlic and onion to the pot. Heat these for 2 minutes until beginning to soften.
- STEP 2Add the minced beef to the pot, cook the meat until brown. Drain off any excess fat from the meat and vegetables.
- STEP 3Return the pot to the heat adding the tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, beef stock and the prepared vegetables. Add the seasonings and add more to taste if required.
- STEP 4Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a medium heat to allow to simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes. The potatoes should just be soft and not overly mushy. If you decide to allow for leftovers with this dish and the potatoes are overcooked, attempting to defrost the dish will create mushy potatoes.
- STEP 5Serve alone or with crusty bread.