Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Rumaki (Chicken Liver appetisers)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus 10 mins to grill at final stage.
- Makes 28
Chicken livers sautéed in soya sauce, garlic and sherry, stuffed with slivers of water chestnut and wrapped in streaky bacon. Not for vegetarians.
- 400-450 grams chicken livers
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- About 12 streaky bacon rashers
- 10 canned water chestnuts
- STEP 1Rinse chicken livers, pat dry, cut in half and remove membrane, etc. Heat oil in frying pan / skillet over med-low heat. Add livers, a portion at a time, turn constantly, just until livers are no longer red on the outside.
- STEP 2Remove skillet from heat, return all livers to the pan. Return to heat and add soy sauce, sherry, lemon juice and garlic. Cool completely. You can freeze at this stage.
- STEP 3Cut each bacon rasher in half or three, stretch them if thick slices. Place one piece chicken liver on one bacon slice and top with a slice of water chestnut. Roll bacon around liver and chestnuts and secure with cocktail sticks. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- STEP 4When ready to cook, preheat grill, and grill Rumaki till crisp. Can also be baked in the oven at approx 180C, for around ten mins. Serve hot. Makes about 28.