Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Halloumi, Aubergine & chilli
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 4
A delicious yet super simple dish that looks extra impressive and makes a perfect starter or lighter lunch.
- 1 packet of halloumi
- 1 aubergine
- 1 egg
- 1-2 red chillies according to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Handful of salad or rocket
- Salt and pepper to season
You will need a frying pan for cooking the halloumi and a griddle pan for the aubergine.
- You will need a frying pan for cooking the halloumi and a griddle pan for the aubergine.
- STEP 1Finely chop the chillies and mix in a bowl with the olive oil. Leave to one side to let the flavours infuse.
- STEP 2Slice the halloumi and aubergine roughly quarter of an inch thick.
- STEP 3In a bowl, whisk the egg.
- STEP 4Heat the two pans until on a medium heat. Brush the griddle pan with a thin layer of olive oil but leave the frying pan dry.
- STEP 5Dip each aubergine slice in the egg mix and fry for three to four minutes on each side (or until golden brown). Try to avoid moving the aubergine around in the pan too much to ensure you get clean, griddle lines, which just looks a lot nicer!
- STEP 6At the same time, dry fry the halloumi for about the same length of time on each side or until the cheese starts browning.
- STEP 7On a plate arrange the rocket or salad and place the aubergine around the plate. Add a piece of halloumi on the top of each aubergine slice.
- STEP 8Drizzle the chilli oil all over and season with salt and pepper as desired.