Halloumi, Aubergine & chilli
Member recipe by cmangan
A delicious yet super simple dish that looks extra impressive and makes a perfect starter or lighter lunch.
- 1 packet of halloumi
- 1 aubergine
- 1 egg
- 1-2 red chillies according to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Handful of salad or rocket
- Salt and pepper to season
- You will need a frying pan for cooking the halloumi and a griddle pan for the aubergine.
- Finely chop the chillies and mix in a bowl with the olive oil. Leave to one side to let the flavours infuse.
- Slice the halloumi and aubergine roughly quarter of an inch thick.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg.
- Heat the two pans until on a medium heat. Brush the griddle pan with a thin layer of olive oil but leave the frying pan dry.
- Dip each aubergine slice in the egg mix and fry for three to four minutes on each side (or until golden brown). Try to avoid moving the aubergine around in the pan too much to ensure you get clean, griddle lines, which just looks a lot nicer!
- At the same time, dry fry the halloumi for about the same length of time on each side or until the cheese starts browning.
- On a plate arrange the rocket or salad and place the aubergine around the plate. Add a piece of halloumi on the top of each aubergine slice.
- Drizzle the chilli oil all over and season with salt and pepper as desired.