Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Pear & Ginger jam
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 3.2-3.6 kg
Great way to use up pears and cooking apples in the autumn, nice flavour with the ginger.
- 2kg pears
- 1kg cooking apples
- 50g grated root ginger
- 2kg granulated sugar
- 2 pectin sachets
- Grated rind and juice of 2 lemon
- STEP 1Peel and chop the pears and apples into small chunks. Place a couple of tea plates in the freezer for later.
- STEP 2Place half the pears and all of the apples into a preserving pan, with just enough water to cover the fruit, and simmer gently until soft and mushy (about 40 mins)
- STEP 3Remove from the heat, add the sugar, pectin, ginger, lemon juice and zest, also add the rest of the chopped pears. Put the pan back on the heat and dissolve sugar gently.
- STEP 4Once the sugar is dissolved, bring to the boil, and boil rapidly for about 15 minutes, or until setting point has been reached. If you are getting a scum on top, put a nob of butter in at this stage.
- STEP 5To check if the jam has set, put a small amount on the cold tea plate, then push gently with the spoon, the jam should wrinkle.
- STEP 6Pour into sterilised jars.