Steamed Spotted Dick
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This steamed old fashioned fruity pudding is delightfully simple and deeply rewarding!
- 250g Plain flour
- 1Tsp Baking Powder
- 125g Shredded suet
- 100g Currents
- 85g Sultanas
- Grated zest of 1 Orange
- 150ml Milk
- STEP 1Put all dried ingredients in to a large bowl, stir though with a fork until combined.
- STEP 2Add all remaining ingredients to form a sticky dough. (Any milk works in this recipe, we have been using long life semi-skimmed).
- STEP 3Grease a pudding basin with butter, then place the dough in to the basin. It should leave an inch spare at the top of the dish, to allow it to grow. Cover with greased foil, with a fold in to allow the pudding to swell.
- STEP 4In a deep pan place a saucer/ramekin at the bottom, then fill with water. Place the pudding in the pan on top of the saucer/ramekin. This prevents direct heat, and potential burning of the base of the pudding. The water should come half way up the pudding basin. Pop a lid on, and allow it to steam for 90 minutes.
- STEP 5Remover from the pan, remove foil and let it sit for 10 minutes. You may want to run a knife around the edge, but if greased properly it should turn out beautifully.
- STEP 6Serve with fresh custard, Enjoy!