Full-on Cauliflower Cheese
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Delicious and healthy with a wonderful crunch...simple to make too!
- 750g frozen cauliflower florets
- 100g frozen peas
- 160g bacon lardons
- 50g/2oz plain flour
- 500ml/17fl oz milk
- 150g/5oz mature cheddar, finely grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6
- STEP 2Half fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the cauliflower florets and boil for 7-8 minutes (al dente). Drain and empty the cauliflower into a suitable oven dish.
- STEP 3bring a small pan of water to the boil and add the peas. Cook until al. dente (5-6 mins). Set aside.
- STEP 4fry the bacon lardons on a medium heat until crisp - 5-6mins - and set aside.
- STEP 5Making the cheese sauce - melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat, whisk in the flour until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Add the milk in small quantities to prevent lumps forming. When the milk is just starting to bubble, stir in 2/3 of the cheese and the ground pepper, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 6-8 minutes).
- STEP 6Add the peas and the bacon lardons to the cheese sauce mix, stirring thoroughly. Pour evenly over the cauliflower florets and add the remaining grated cheese and breadcrumbs.
- STEP 7Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown and the sauce is bubbling.