Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Strawberry Sponge Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Plus 30 minute cooling time
- Serves 8
A classic Victoria sponge cake with an added twist. This is the perfect cake for an afternoon tea!
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 100ml single cream
- 135g strawberries, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Double cream and strawberry jam (optional filling)
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/electric. Grease two 20 cm cake tins and line with parchment paper.
- STEP 2In a large bowl whisk the butter and sugar together until combined. Then, add the eggs one at a time and mix. Then, add all the single cream and mix once again.
- STEP 3With a wooden spoon fold in the flour a third at a time until the mixture is smooth.
- STEP 4In a separate bowl place the mashed strawberries and vanilla extract and mix gently with a small metal spoon. Add the strawberry mixture to the smooth cake mixture and combine.
- STEP 5Pour the mixture into the cake tins and bake on a middle shelf for 20 minutes.
- STEP 6Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 30 minutes before removing. After cooled, spread as much jam as desired on one of the two sponges. Then whip some double cream and place on top of the jam. Take the other sponge and sandwich both sponges together. Serve!