Balti tarka Dhal
- Preparation and cooking time
- Soaking and Boiling Pulses
- Serves 2
Chana Dhal cooked in creamy Balti sauce, with ghee.
- 200g Chana Dhal (a dried pulse by EastEnd)
- 1 Can of Coconut Milk
- 1/2 a Jar of Patak's Balti Paste
- 1-2 Brown Onion/s
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- One Chopped Tomato
- 2 Tbsp Ghee Butter - (vegetable oil for dairy free version)
- Coriander To Serve
- 1/2 Tbsp Garam Masala
- STEP 1Soak and cook the pulse with some hot sauce and a half cube of oxo vegetable stock into the boiling water.
- STEP 2Fry the onion and garlic in a frying pan with water, add the tomato and a pinch of pink salt and brown sugar. When the seasoning has soaked into the vegetables, add the cooked chana dhal, the canned coconut milk, curry paste, garam masala and ghee butter.
- STEP 3Allow the curry to simmer for a half hour or more, add more liquid if needed. Mix fresh coriander into the curry before serving. Season to taste, serve with basmati rice and naan or onion bhaji.