Healthy fish and New potato chips
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Recreate one of Britain's national dishes with these homemade fish and chips. Add mushy peas, tartare sauce and a slice of lemon to top it off.
- 2 fillets of white fish (cod or haddock)
- 650g New/Baby potatoes
- 200g frozen peas
- Zest of 1/2 lime and a wedge to serve
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 70g breadcrumbs
- 20g butter
- 1 tbsp mint sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp capers (optional)
- Tartare sauce to serve (optional)
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C/Gas 5.
- STEP 2Peel and chop the potatoes into small sticks. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and par boil the potatoes for 5 mins.
- STEP 3Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and add the lemon zest, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Melt 10g of butter and stir through the breadcrumb mixture to combine.
- STEP 4Take a large oven tray, pour in the vegetable oil and place in the oven.
- STEP 5Place the fish fillets on a small oven tray. Season and pop a knob of butter on each and cover with foil.
- STEP 6Remove the large oven tray and add the potatoes. Mix around to coat in the oil, then season.
- STEP 7Place both trays in the oven.
- STEP 8After 15 mins remove the foil from the fish and cover each fish with the breadcrumbs.
- STEP 9At the same time, give the chips a shake. Place the uncovered fish back in the oven for a further 10-15 mins until the chips are cooked and the breadcrumbs golden.
- STEP 10Meanwhile make the crushed peas. Add the peas to boiling water. Once cooked, slightly mash and add the mint sauce.
- STEP 11Serve with a slice of lemon and the tartare sauce topped with extra capers.