Points to remember
- Oil a baking sheet and palette knife.
- Place caster sugar in a dry frying pan.
- Heat over a high heat to dissolve the sugar. Try not to stir the sugar - just tilt the pan carefully to move it around.
- Allow the mixture to dissolve completely and turn to a deep caramel, swirling the pan as you go.
- If making a praline, add nuts and swirl them around in the pan to coat them.
- Tip the caramel/praline out onto the prepared baking tray and flatten using the oiled palette knife.