Winter vegetable curry with fruity raita
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions , thinly sliced
- ½ pumpkin , winter squash or butternut squash, cut into cubes
- 4 carrots , cut into batons
- 2 parsnips , cut into batons
- 3 tbsp curry paste (or gluten-free alternative)
- 8 large ripe tomatoes , 2 cut into wedges
- 6 garlic cloves , peeled
- thumb-sized piece ginger , peeled and chopped
- small pack coriander , chopped
- 200g brown basmati rice
- 6 tbsp low-fat natural yogurt
- 100g mango , cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- small pack toasted flaked almond
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large lidded pan. Tip in the onions and cook for 10 mins until soft. Stir in the pumpkin, carrots and parsnips, and cook for 5 mins until they begin to soften. Add the curry paste and cook for another 3 mins.
- STEP 2
In a bowl, whizz together the whole tomatoes, garlic and ginger until smooth, then pour over the vegetables, adding 200ml water. Save a handful of coriander to serve, and stir in the rest. Pop on the lid and simmer for 40 mins or until the vegetables are tender. Uncover, stir through the tomato wedges and reduce to the thicken the sauce.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, cook the rice following pack instructions. Mix the yogurt, mango and chutney in a small bowl. Fork the rice into a serving dish and scatter the curry with remaining coriander and the almonds. Season, then serve alongside the rice and fruity yogurt.