Winter cannellini bean soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Plus freezing and defrosting times
- Serves 6
A freeze-ahead soup that's perfect for a festive meal - no more last minute panics
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 carrot , finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 leeks , finely chopped
- 140g streaky bacon , finely chopped
- 1.4l chicken stock or vegetable stock (Kallo is good)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or marjoram or ½ tsp dried
- 2x 450g cans cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
On the day
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and tip in the shallots, garlic, carrot, celery, leeks and bacon. Cook over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned.
- STEP 2
Pour in the stock, then add the bay leaves and oregano or marjoram. Season and bring to the boil, then cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Tip in the beans, cover again and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- STEP 3
Pour the soup into a freezer container and leave it to cool completely, then seal, label and freeze for up to a month.
- STEP 4
Defrost the soup at room temperature for 3 hours, (or overnight).
- STEP 5
Tip into a saucepan, reheat gently until bubbling, and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Swirl in the chopped parsley, ladle into warm bowls and top each with a drizzle of olive oil and a parsley sprig.