Veggie bean bakes with salsa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
These bean bakes are filling yet fresh, making the perfect vegetarian meal
- 400g potato , cut into small cubes
- ½ a 400g can mixed beans , rinsed and drained
- 198g can sweetcorn , drained
- 1bunch spring onions , shredded
- 100g mature cheddar , grated
- 1 egg , beaten
- 50g fresh breadcrumb (from 2 slices)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 4 ripe tomatoes , chopped
- 2 tbsp chilli ketchup
- STEP 1
Boil the potatoes for 10 mins until tender. Drain, then mash. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Roughly mash the beans with a fork. Mix with the mashed potato, sweetcorn, half the spring onions, all the cheese and half the egg. Season.
- STEP 2
Toss the breadcrumbs with the oil and seasoning. Put the flour, remaining egg and crumbs onto plates. Take ¼ of the mix, pat into a burger, then dip in the flour, egg and crumbs. Place on a nonstick baking sheet. Repeat to make 4. Can be frozen at this stage. Bake for 15 mins, then grill for 2-3 mins until golden.
- STEP 3
To make the salsa, mix the remaining spring onion with the tomatoes and ketchup. Season and serve on the side.