- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (about 200g)
- 2 medium sticks celery, finely sliced (about 120g)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes or peeled cherry tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube made up to 250ml (we used 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot)
- 2 courgettes, sliced thickly (about 300g)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 250g cooked lentils (we used Merchant Gourmet ready-to-eat Puy lentils)
- STEP 1
Heat 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil in a large, heavy-based pan. Add 1 finely chopped onion and cook gently for 5 – 10 mins until softened.
- STEP 2
Add 3 sliced garlic cloves, 1 tsp smoked paprika, ½ tsp ground cumin, 1 tbsp dried thyme, 3 sliced carrots, 2 finely sliced celery sticks, 1 chopped red pepper and 1 chopped yellow pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- STEP 3
Add two 400g cans tomatoes, 250ml vegetable stock (made with 1 stock pot), 2 thickly sliced courgettes and 2 sprigs fresh thyme and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- STEP 4
Take out the thyme sprigs. Stir in 250g cooked lentils and bring back to a simmer. Serve with wild and white basmati rice, mash or quinoa.