Butternut squash soup with chilli & crème fraîche
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 butternut squash, about 1kg, peeled and deseeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 mild red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 850ml hot vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche, plus more to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- STEP 2
- STEP 3
Roast for 30 mins, turning once during cooking, until golden and soft.
- STEP 4
While the butternut squash cooks, melt 1 tbsp butter with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, then add 2 diced onions, 1 thinly sliced garlic clove and ¾ of the 2 deseeded and finely chopped red chillies.
- STEP 5
Cover and cook on a very low heat for 15-20 mins until the onions are completely soft.
- STEP 6
- STEP 7
Return to the pan, gently reheat, then season to taste.
- STEP 8
Serve the soup in bowls with swirls of crème fraîche and a scattering of the remaining chopped chilli.