- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Enjoy a delicious plant-based dinner with this vegan rice and bean one-pot. It's packed with all five of your 5-a-day, as well as iron, vitamin C and fibre
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion (180g), finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks , finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper , chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 115g brown basmati rice
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 400g butter beans , drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- large handful of parsley , chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan set over a high heat and fry the onion, celery and pepper, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins until starting to soften and colour.
- STEP 2
Stir in the spices and rice, then tip in the tomatoes and a can of water. Stir in the garlic, beans and bouillon. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 25 mins until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid. Keep an eye on the pan towards the end of the cooking time to make sure it doesn’t boil dry – if it starts to catch, add a little more water. Stir in the parsley and serve hot.
SIGN UP TO OUR HEALTHY DIET PLAN
This recipe is part of our free Healthy Diet Plan. Sign up today and we’ll send you seven days of triple-tested, nutritionally optimised recipes, plus expert tips to help you look and feel your very best!