Turkish kebabs with tomato chilli sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus at least 1 hr marinating
- Serves 4
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200g Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp chilli flakes (Aleppo are nice)
- 2 tsp sumac
- 4 chicken breasts , cut into chunks
- 300g baby plum tomatoes
- 1 thumb-sized red chilli , stem removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion , sliced
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 4 Middle Eastern flatbreads
- long pickled chillis (guindillas)
- a handful fresh coriander
- a handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
- STEP 1
Crush 1 garlic clove and mix with 3 tbsp yogurt, the lemon juice, 1 tsp tomato purée, half the spices, and some seasoning in a medium bowl. Add the chicken, toss, cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hr or overnight.
- STEP 2
Make the chilli sauce. Put 100g of the tomatoes, the whole red chilli, the remaining spices, garlic clove and tomato purée, plus 1 tbsp olive oil, half the red onion and the pomegranate molasses in a food processor. Add some seasoning and pulse until puréed, then set aside.
- STEP 3
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6, and heat a griddle pan. Thread the chicken onto metal skewers or wooden ones that have been soaked, then wipe off the excess marinade. Skewer the remaining tomatoes on a separate skewer. Lightly oil the griddle with the remaining olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides, then transfer to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 mins, or until cooked through. Meanwhile, griddle the tomatoes for 1-2 mins, turning halfway through so they have griddle marks on both sides.
- STEP 4
Serve the chicken and tomatoes on flatbreads with the remaining red onion, pickled chillis, the remaining Greek yogurt, parsley and coriander with the chilli sauce spooned over.