Classic Thai green chicken curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Making your own fragrant curry paste takes some special Asian ingredients and a little time but you'll taste the difference
For the green curry paste
- 1 stalk lemongrass , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp whole peppercorn
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- ½ tsp cumin seed
- 6 green bird's-eye chillies , trimmed and halved
- 4 garlic cloves , peeled
- 5 shallots (use Thai if possible)
- 3cm piece galangal or ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 rounded tsp shredded kaffir lime peel (if you can get it)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander stalks
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 level tsp shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
For the curry
- 2 x 400g cans coconut milk
- 2 heaped tbsp green curry paste
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken breast , cut into thin strips
- 100ml chicken stock , plus extra if necessary
- 1-2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp palm sugar (or light muscovado)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 50g fine green bean , halved
- 100g baby aubergine , diced (or Thai pea aubergines)
- handful Thai basil , shredded
- STEP 1
To make the Thai green curry paste, put the lemon grass and lime juice into a small bowl and leave to soak for 30 mins. Put a small pan over a medium heat and add the peppercorns, coriander and cumin seeds. Dry fry for about 1 minute until fragrant then tip onto a saucer to cool.
- STEP 2
Put the lemongrass, spices and all remaining curry paste ingredients into a mini food blender or small food processor and pulse the mixture. Scrape down the sides from time to time. Process as smooth as you can – the mixture will be slightly coarse and not as green as the purchased variety. Put the paste into a lidded jar and store in the fridge up to a week or freeze in portions.
- STEP 3
To make the curry, open the cans of coconut milk and carefully remove the thick cream and spoon it into a warm wok or large frying pan (see tip below). Cook it slowly, stirring all the time, until it reduces to a thick paste and the oil starts to separate. Add the green curry paste and cook for 1-2 mins. Add the chicken and stir until well coated in the paste.
- STEP 4
Slowly add the coconut water remaining in the cans together with the chicken stock. Add all the remaining ingredients and cook over a medium heat for about 10 mins until the chicken is cooked. Add more stock if necessary - the sauce should be slightly thinner than single cream.
- STEP 5
To serve spoon some rice into a bowl, pour over the curry and sprinkle with the coriander leaves, sliced chilli and spring onion. Add a wedge of lime on the side.