Super-easy sausage casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3 tbsp vegetable, olive or rapeseed oil
- 8 sausages
- 500g bag frozen mixed Mediterranean veg
- 2 x 400g cartons tomatoes with garlic and onions
- 2 x 400g cans butter beans , drained
- 2 thick slices good, crusty bread
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a flameproof casserole dish with a lid. Add the sausages and brown until golden all over, then transfer to a plate.
- STEP 2
Put the frozen veg in the pan and cook for a few mins to thaw. Add the tomatoes, then half-fill one of the cans with water and pour into the dish. Add the beans, season well and bring the mixture to a simmer. Place the sausages on top of the veg, cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 40 mins.
- STEP 3
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Tear the bread into small chunks or coarsley grate it, making chunky crumbs. Fry in the hot oil until crisp. Serve the casserole in bowls and top with the breadcrumbs.