Stuffed & grilled vegetable bites
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 8
These delicious vegetarian tapas bites are filled with creamy ricotta, sundried tomatoes and basil - a perfect dinner party nibble
- 1 large aubergine (about 350g/12oz)
- 1 large courgette (about 300g/11oz)
- 2 flame-roasted peppers , from a jar
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250g tub ricotta
- 25g finely grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- 3 sundried or semi-dried tomatoes in oil (from a jar), drained and finely chopped
- finely grated zest 0.5 lemon
- 8 basil leaves
- small handful parsley , leaves picked and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp paprika
- STEP 1
Cut the aubergine and courgette into thin lengths about 2-3mm thick – you should have 8 slices of each. Drain and rinse the peppers, remove any seeds, pat dry, then cut into quarters. Mix the garlic with the olive oil and some seasoning.
- STEP 2
Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat. Brush the vegetable slices with the garlic oil and cook for 2-3 mins each side until completely soft and lightly charred (you’ll need to do this in batches). You could also do this on a barbecue. Set aside on a plate and leave to cool. The vegetables can be griddled the day before and kept covered in the fridge – bring to room temperature before serving.
- STEP 3
Mix together the cheeses, sundried tomatoes, lemon zest and seasoning. Lay out the slices of aubergine on a large board. Top each with a slice of courgette, a strip of pepper, and a basil leaf. Dot 1 tbsp of the cheese mix on top and roll the vegetables up. Skewer with a cocktail stick to secure.
- STEP 4
When ready to serve, arrange on a plate and scatter over the parsley leaves and paprika.
COOK IT PROPERLY
Make sure the vegetables are cooked and nicely charred – undercooked aubergines really don’t taste good!