Strawberry & pistachio olive oil cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 10
- 200ml olive oil , plus extra for the tin
- 225g shelled pistachios
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150g fine cornmeal or polenta
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 200g strawberries , chopped, plus extra to serve
- icing sugar and crème fraîche or yogurt, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Oil and line the base of a 23cm cake tin. Put 200g of the pistachios in a blender, and whizz until it looks like ground almonds.
- STEP 2
Whisk the sugar and eggs together with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy – this should take about 5 mins. Add the olive oil, continually whisking, then fold in the ground pistachios, cornmeal or polenta and baking powder with a pinch of salt. Fold in the strawberries, then scrape into the tin. Roughly chop the remaining pistachios and scatter over the top.
- STEP 3
Bake for 50-55 mins until golden and risen. Leave to cool in the tin to room temperature before transferring to a cake stand or plate. Dust with icing sugar and serve with crème fraîche or yogurt and extra strawberries.