Stir-fry chilli beef with sweet potato jackets
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Enjoy this energising supper for a post-exercise pick-me-up. It supplies iron, vitamin C and fibre, plus an impressive five of your 5-a-day
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 175g each)
- 1 thick, lean rump sirloin steak , trimmed of all fat (about 200g after trimming), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 green pepper , halved, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tomatoes , cut into wedges
- 400g can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- handful of coriander , chopped, plus extra whole leaves to serve
- 1 small avocado , stoned, peeled, halved and chopped or mashed
- 1 lime , cut into wedges
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and bake the sweet potatoes for 45 mins, or until tender. Meanwhile, mix the steak with half each of the garlic and paprika.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a non-stick wok and stir-fry the pepper for 1 min until starting to soften. Add the remaining garlic and the cumin seeds, and cook for a few minutes more. Tip in the tomatoes and the remaining paprika, and cook for 10 mins. Add the beans and bouillon, and stir-fry until heated through. Stir in the coriander. Halve the baked potatoes almost all the way through, and put onto plates. Top with the avocado and squeeze over some of the lime wedges, and divide the beans between the plates.
- STEP 3
Return the pan to the heat and cook the steak for 5 mins. You shouldn’t need to add any oil if you have a good non-stick pan, and if you don’t wash the pan, you'll get some nice charred bits on the steak. The centre of the steak strips should be pink and tender. Pile onto the potatoes with a few coriander leaves, and serve with the remaining lime wedges for squeezing over.
SIGN UP TO OUR HEALTHY DIET PLAN
This recipe is part of our free Healthy Diet Plan. Sign up today and we’ll send you seven days of triple-tested, nutritionally optimised recipes, plus expert tips to help you look and feel your very best!